Monday, December 23: Recorded my 680News wine reviews and then had a meeting with David Hamilton, publisher of Toronto Life, to discuss the Ontario Wine Awards and Sip&Savour Ontario. Wrote my commentary for Quench (the new name for Tidings magazine) on how wine was “invented.”
Tuesday, December 24: A lazy day because of the ice storm. Walked Pinot in the park, which looks magical with the sun sparkling off the ice-covered branches. Lots of downed trees, unfortunately. We have power in our building but across the street they are all dark. In the evening Deborah and I and Guy and Carlee took the subway over to the Willises’ in Rosedale for their annual Christmas carol event. Drank Pol Roger Champagne Brut and Antinori Peppoli Chianti Classico 2009.
Deborah and Pinot in the park
Wednesday, December 25: Drove up to Caledon with Deborah and her sister Suzanne to have Christmas dinner with Nadine, Deborah’s niece, and her husband Garry and their two boys. They had lost power in their main house but a small house by Highway 9 where Nadine’s father Spiro was staying with his partner Annie had electricity. So we all crammed in there to prepare the turkey and trimmings. I opened a bottle of Joie Pinot Blanc 2012 and an Inniskillin Pinot Noir 2008. I gave Deborah a clutch purse that looks like a fashion magazine cover.
Thursday, December 26: We took advantage of the Boxing Day sale to buy a new 42-inch flat-screen TV. Our old one, which we’ve had for five years, has suddenly developed problems and you have to hit it to correct the picture. Had a terrible time trying to park outside Best Buy, which was mobbed. Paid $200 to have the Geek Squad come in to mount it on the wall and set it up. This will happen in January, so until then we have to keep hitting the TV. Made chicken curry with the garam masala Vikram Vij gave me back in July. Served it with Bollig-Lehnert Trittenheimer Apotheke Riesling Spätlese 2011. A perfect match.
Friday, December 27: Another lazy day. Heard that a house across the street burned down and only the walls are left standing. The owners had probably left because there was no power and must have not turned off a heater. What a terrible thing to come back to over Christmas.